Breach of Community Correction Orders
In June 2016, the Council began researching breaches of community correction orders (CCOs). The focus of the project is on breaches that are determined by the Magistrates’ Court and the higher courts.
The project examines:
- the rate at which offenders breach their CCOs
- the nature of breaches, including the type of offence committed when further offending occurs
- the court response to breaches, including decisions to cancel the CCO and impose a new sentence.
The project follows the Council’s previous work on monitoring trends in the imposition of CCOs:
- Community Correction Orders: Third Monitoring Report (Post-Guideline Judgment) (2016)
- Community Correction Orders: Second Monitoring Report (Pre-Guideline Judgment) (2015)
- Community Correction Orders in the Higher Courts: Imposition, Duration, and Conditions (2014)
- Community Correction Orders: Monitoring Report (2014).