The Council has conducted research into appeals against sentences imposed in the Supreme and County Courts.
Under the Crimes Act 1958, offenders can appeal:
- against their conviction for an offence
- the sentence imposed for an offence.
The Director of Public Prosecutions can appeal against the sentence imposed on an offender.
The Council has investigated the role of sentence appeals within the Victorian sentencing framework. This includes some discussion of the rules and processes relating to sentencing appeals to the Court of Appeal in Victoria.
The Council has also undertaken an examination of the extent, nature and outcomes of appeals against sentence, including:
- recent trends in the number of applications for leave to appeal and substantive appeals against sentence lodged and determined by the Court of Appeal
- the extent of the delay between the original sentence and the determination of the appeal
- the success rates for both leave applications and substantive appeals
- the frequency with which different grounds of appeal are used and their success rate
- the extent to which sentences change as a result of successful appeals.
The Council has published its statistical research report on sentence appeals in Victoria.
The Sentence Appeals in Victoria Statistical Research Report is available for download from this website.
- Current Projects
- Completed Research by Topic
- Adult Parole
- Baseline Sentences
- Children and Young Offenders
- Community Correction Orders
- Driving Offences
- Family Violence Contravention Offences
- Family Violence and Reoffending
- Female Offenders
- Gross Violence Offences
- Guilty Pleas in the Higher Courts
- Hatred or Prejudice
- Homicide Sentencing
- Indigenous Offenders
- Major Drug Offences
- Parole and Sentencing
- Preparatory Offences
- Public Opinion and Sentencing
- Sentence Appeals
- Sentence Indication
- Sentencing Guidance Reference
- Serious Sex Offenders
- Sexual Offences Against Children
- Sexual Penetration with a Child Under 12
- Suspended Sentences
- Victoria’s Prison Population