Young People in Detention
In 2014–15, New South Wales had 1,480 people in youth detention facilities, the highest number in Australia. Tasmania had the lowest number in Australia, at 52 young people. Victoria had 679 young people in detention in 2014–15.
In 2014–15, Victoria had the lowest rate of 10 to 17 year olds in youth detention facilities of all Australian states and territories. This rate, 0.86 per 1,000 young people, is substantially lower than the Australian average of 1.9 per 1,000 young people. By contrast, South Australia had the highest rate of 10 to 17 year olds in youth detention at 2.4 per 1,000 young people.
Data on the number of young people in detention and the youth detention rates for Western Australia and the Northern Territory was not available for 2014–15.
Graph and table: the detention rates per 1,000 young people aged 10 to 17 years in youth detention facilities in each state and territory during 2014–15, incorporating all people incarcerated in a youth detention facility and reflecting the different age limits in each state and territory for youth detention as opposed to incarceration in an adult custodial facility
Options for viewing the graph: hover over graph elements (bars, lines) to display additional information. Drag your cursor to select and zoom in on areas of interest. Double click on the graph to reset. Hover over the top of the graph to reveal a toolbar with further options.
|Jurisdiction||Number||Rate (per 1,000 young people)|
|Australian Capital Territory||91||2.2|
|New South Wales||1,480||1.8|
Source: Australian Institute of Health and Welfare, Youth Justice in Australia 2014–15, Cat. no. AUS 198 (2016) (external link opens in a new window)
- Online Sentencing Statistics
- Sentencing Trends
- Magistrates' Court Cases Sentenced
- Magistrates' Court Sentencing Outcomes
- Children's Court Cases Sentenced
- Children's Court Sentencing Outcomes
- Victoria's Prison Population
- Victoria's Imprisonment Rates
- Australia's Imprisonment Rates
- International Imprisonment Rates
- Victoria's Indigenous Imprisonment Rates
- Most Serious Offence
- Prisoners Returning to Prison
- Young People in Detention
- Young Indigenous People in Detention
- Community-Based Sentences
- Baseline Sentencing Statistics